One of the most exciting DIY foodie discoveries I’ve made in the last year. I can’t believe it took me this long to try it out. It’s tasty. Creamy. Great with coffee. Quick and easy. Cheap. Zero waste.
You’ll need a jug blender (or a Nutribullet), and a nut milk bag (or an old—but clean—t-shirt, or a large square of muslin). If you use a Nutribullet or similar, you’ll have to halve the recipe to fit it in the cup.
Be sure to keep the leftover pulp to make Oat, Choc Chip & Cranberry Cookies!
Homemade Oat Milk
- Nut milk bag
- 1 cup rolled oats soaked overnight
- 3 cups fresh water
- 1 pinch salt optional
- 1 tsp vanilla essence optional
- 1 tbsp syrup optional
- Soak 1 cup rolled oats in cold water overnight (or warm water for 20min).
- Rinse well, in a sieve.
- Add to a blender with 3 cups fresh water.
- Blend for about 1 minute.
- Strain through a nut milk bag.
- Optional: put it back in the (rinsed) blender, and salt, vanilla and sweetener, and blend.
- Bottle and refrigerate, and use within one week.