While I love a good store-bought vegan meat burger patty or seitan sausage, nothing beats a marinated portobello mushroom. It’s so flavourful, and full of umami: pop it on a bun for a burger, or have it alongside veggies and whole grains.
- 2 large portobello mushrooms
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tsp miso
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/4 tsp red chilli flakes
- Mix all the marinade ingredients together.
- Place the mushrooms (stem side up) in a baking pan.
- Pour the marinade into the mushroom caps.
- Heat your oven to about 200ºC (let the mushrooms sit in the marinade until the oven's hot).
- Put the pan in the oven, and leave for about 15-20 minutes. The bigger (and thicker) the mushrooms, the longer they'll need.
- Remove from the oven once they're looking soft and juicy.
- Serve on a burger bun with vegan mayo, lettuce and tomato, or alongside some veggies and a whole grain.