Warm yourself up with a tasty and comforting Turmeric Latte, and get your anti-inflammatory boost. Did you read my post about the magic that is turmeric? I also explain why it’s a good thing to use black pepper and a bit of oil, when consuming turmeric.
I used fresh turmeric, fresh ginger and stick cinnamon. Ground spices work too, but I prefer how the fresh/whole spices are infused into the milk (the ground spices tend to sink to the bottom of the cup). It still works with ground spices though, and tastes great!
- 3 cm fresh turmeric peeled (or 1/2 tsp ground turmeric)
- 3 cm fresh ginger peeled (or 1/2 tsp ground ginger)
- 1 cup soy milk or another plant milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- sweetener to taste
- 1 stick cinnamon (or 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon)
- If using fresh turmeric and/or fresh ginger, peel the skin off with a teaspoon or knife.
- Place the turmeric and ginger in a blender with half a cup of soy milk, and blend for a minute.
- Add the rest of the soy milk and the water, as well as the pepper, coconut oil and sweetener, and blend until smooth.
- Pour into a small saucepan over medium heat, add the cinnamon, and bring to a low simmer (don't boil).
- Keep stirring until the mix is hot, and taste for sweetness and spice (adjust as you like).
- Remove the cinnamon stick, and serve while hot.
- The leftovers can be stored in the fridge for a day or two, and reheated on the stove or enjoyed cold.