This is a ubiquitous vegan snack, almost synonymous with the hipster-vegan stereotype. Kale chips are so easy to make, just as moreish as potato chips, but way healthier. If you didn’t know what the heck to do with those beautiful dark curly leaves, now you do.
Actually, kale is a nutritional powerhouse, offering incredible immune system and anti-cancer benefits, cooked or raw. This recipe makes for a really tasty snack, ticking off that recommended daily dose of cruciferous vegetables. Just in case you’re tired of cauliflower or cabbage.
Nutritional yeast and smoked paprika make give these a beautiful cheesy flavour, but you can use whatever spices tickle your fancy. Some red chilli flakes and salt would be great, or maybe some zaatar… These literally melt in your mouth, which goes to show how much water is stored in fresh kale leaves!
Now that you know how easily and cheaply you can make these at home, you won’t believe the price and packaging excess of store-bought kale chips. Serve these up for your next Netflix chill sesh instead of popcorn.
If you don’t finish them in one sitting, store them in an airtight container and consume them within a few days (though I don’t think I need to tell you that).
Need more snack ideas?
- 1 large bunch curly kale
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- Preheat the oven to 100ºC and prepare two large baking trays.
- Destem the kale, and tear into chunks. Rinse the leaves and dry thoroughly in a salad spinner (the dryer they are, the crisper they'll turn out).
- In a large bowl, drizzle the oil over the kale leaves, and massage it in so that all the leaves are coated.
- Sprinkle the salt, nutritional yeast and paprika onto the kale and mix thoroughly.
- Spread the kale evenly between the two baking trays, and pop them in the oven. Bake for about 30 minutes, checking halfway to stir and redistribute the leaves so they dry evenly.
- Remove when crispy, and let cool completely before storing in an airtight container (if you haven't already polished them off).