I’m so into soups right now. Butternut soup, mixed veg soup, lentil soup, tomato soup… They’re easy, pretty quick, and they warm your soul.
Here’s a classic tomato soup I made last night. It’s easy, tasty and pretty great to keep on hand for a quick lunch. You can also freeze the leftovers in a glass jar.
Classic Tomato Soup
- Immersion blender
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large carrot diced
- 1 stick celery diced
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 1 pinch sugar
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 400g cans tomatoes
- 5-6 large tomatoes roughly chopped
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- parsely to garnish (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion, and cook until translucent, stirring so it doesn't catch.
- Add the garlic, carrot and celery, and cook for about 10 minutes until soft. Deglaze the pot with a bit of water, if needed.
- Stir in the tomato paste and sugar.
- Add the vegetable stock and tomatoes (both canned and fresh), and stir.
- Cook on low heat for abot 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Blend with an immersion blender, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with a garnish of parsley (optional) and enjoy!