Red cabbage is possibly one of the most beautiful vegetables out there – at least, I think so. And it’s really healthy, with its cruciferous powers and phytonutrients. But one small head of cabbage is actually a LOT of food, so it’s a good idea to know what you’re going to do with it. Otherwise it’ll be staring at you sadly every time you open the fridge.
Here’s a salad that keeps for a few days in the fridge and is simple and delicious. Try it out.
Red Cabbage Salad
- ½ head red cabbage (halved, thinly sliced)
- 1 medium red onion
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup flaxseed oil (or extra-virgin olive oil)
- ½ tsp salt (or to taste)
- ¼ tsp pepper (or to taste)
- 1 cup dry-roasted sunflower seeds
- Combine cabbage & onion in a large bowl.
- Add balsamic vinegar, flax (or olive) oil, salt and pepper, and mix.
- Leave for 1-3 hours to marinate.
- Mix in the dry-roasted sunflower seeds before serving.