I’ve been looking forward to this for a couple of months, and now that the cold has set in here in Germany, it’s perfect timing.
This soup is Marco’s – he made it the way he remembers his grandmother’s soup, but without peeling the potatoes (because who has time for that, and there’s so much fibre, vitamins and other good things in the peels!)
The recipe is very forgiving, it is a soup after all 🙂 Enjoy this with a good glass of wine on a wintery day!
German Potato Soup
- 1.5 kg potatoes, cubed (with the skin)
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 yellow turnip, sliced
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 1 medium leek, sliced
- 1 bouquet garni (parsley, thyme, bay leaf)
- 4 vegan vienna sausages, in chunks (optional)
- salt (to taste)
- freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 splash white wine (optional)
- Clean the potatoes and vegetables, and place in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the water and salt, and cook everything until the potatoes are soft (about 30 minutes).
- Add the herbs and pepper, and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the vegan vienna sausages, and a splash of wine for a more rounded flavour, and cook a little longer before serving.