You could fool many an egg-lover with a couple blocks of tofu, a some turmeric, and kala namak (black salt from volcanic rock, with a sulphurous taste). I’ve made variations of this scramble so many times over the years, for vegans and meat-eaters alike, and it’s always a hit. Depending on the type of tofu you use and what you add to it, you can really get a very eggy scramble going: but without the cholesterol and saturated fat.
Try this recipe, and change it up depending on what you have on hand. Add some extra veg, some nutritional yeast, a dash of coconut milk… Make it your own!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 400 g tofu medium or firm
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1/8 tsp kala namak optional
- 1/2 cup baby tomatoes halved
- 1 cup baby spinach
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion, and saute for a few minutes until soft.
- Add the garlic and cook for a couple of minutes, until fragrant.
- Crumble the tofu into the pan, along with the turmeric, thyme, cumin, kala namak (optional) and baby tomaotes.
- Taste, then season with salt and pepper.
- Stir over medium heat for a few minutes, then stir in the baby spinach until wilted.
- Serve with other brunchy things like toast, vegan sausage and fried mushrooms!