Who doesn’t love the classic combo of lemony tang with poppy seed crunch?
This recipe is adapted from the Martha Stewart website – veganised with aquafaba in place of egg and coconut oil instead of butter. The quantities are adjusted to make for a cookie that spreads less and has a more solid texture.
Lemon Poppyseed Cookies
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (melted)
- 2 3/4 cups cake flour
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp aquafaba
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds (plus extra for sprinkling)
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC and prepare a baking tray (lined with baking paper, or greased).
- In a small saucepan (or a steel measuring cup), simmer the lemon juice until reduced to half the volume.
- In a large bowl, mix the sugar with the melted coconut oil.
- Add the aquafaba, reduced lemon juice, and vanilla, and mix.
- Add the flour, salt, baking powder and poppy seeds, and mix until fully incorporated.
- Chill the mixture in the fridge for 30min.
- Shape spoonfuls of the dough and place them on the baking sheet, spaced a couple centimetres apart (they shouldn't spread too much).
- Press each ball down with a fork, and sprinkle with some extra poppyseeds.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, until the bottom edges are slightly golden.
- Cool on a wire rack, then store in an airtight container.