When it comes to weeknight dinners, it doesn’t get much easier than this: just pop a sweet potato in the oven (or microwave), sauté some beans with onion and spices, and load up those spuds. You can pretty much use whatever you have on hand, but beans are great (for protein and iron), some spice for flavour, guac and vegan cheese for richness, and a sauce or condiment for freshness.
Loaded Sweet Potatoes
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 medium avocado ripe
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 1 can black beans or kidney beans
- 1 tsp chipotle powder or other spice mix
- 2 tbsp salsa (store-bought or homemade)
- 1/4 cup vegan cheddar grated
- 1 tbsp spring onion chopped
- Using a fork, poke some holes into each sweet potato, and bake them for 45 minutes at 200ºC.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a pan over medium heat, and add the onion and bell pepper. Sauté until soft.
- Add the beans, cook until heated through, then add the spice mix.
- Mash the avocados in a small bowl and mix in the lime juice.
- Check the sweet potatoes after 45 minutes, they should be soft. Remove them from the oven, make a slice along their length, and open them up to make space for the beans.
- Spoon the beans onto the sweet potatoes, followed by the salsa, vegan cheese, avocado and spring onions.
- Serve immediately 🙂