I tried out a variation on vegan banana bread that is gluten-free and sugar-free, using quinoa flour as a one-to-one substitute for wheat flour. And it’s wonderful! I used the quinoa flour from Woolworths, but you can also just buy quinoa and process it into a flour using a food processor or Nutribullet. This flour is a fantastic option for gluten-free baking, since it’s much more nutrient-dense than other gluten-free flour blends that use potato starch and other low-protein flours.
Here’s my recipe for vegan, gluten-free and sugar-free banana bread muffins (what a mouthful).
Quinoa Banana Muffins
- 3 medium ripe bananas mashed
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 3 tbsp aquafaba
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1/2 cup soy milk
- 1 3/4 cup quinoa flour or just process quinoa into flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180C and grease a muffin tray.
- Mash the bananas, and mix in the wet ingredients (melted coconut oil, aquafaba, ground flaxseed, soy mlk).
- Mix the dry ingredients (quinoa flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt, cinnamon) in another bowl.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients.
- Spoon into the muffin tray and pop in the oven for about 20min.
- Check it after 15-20min, if it’s pulling away from the edges and springs back to the touch, it’s done.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing, then enjoy with some vegan butter!