When I was thoroughly into my “veganising everything” phase, one of the holy grails of vegan cuisine that I was trying to crack, was a vegan ‘omelette’. As you can imagine, there are a bunch of recipes online and I tried a few: some were cool, some not so much, but all were a bit complex with a long list of ingredients. So when I realised that the most important ingredient of a vegan omelette is chickpea flour (besan), and that there’s actually a very old Indian tradition of savoury pancakes made with besan, I was like, damn—that’s all I need.
So here we are: the simplest savoury pancakes in the world. Call ’em vegan omelettes if you want (though they’re not as fluffy); but I’m happy with them as they are:
One part chickpea flour + one part water + add-ins for flavour. That. Is. It.
Serve them straight out of the pan, with fillings like sautéed mushrooms, baby spinach and salsa.
If you make this recipe and decide to share it on Facebook or Instagram, don’t forget to tag me @PlantifulCoach + #PlantifulCoach! I’d love to see your foodie creations 🙂
Savoury Chickpea Pancakes
- Non-stick pan
For the pancakes
- 1 cup chickpea flour (besan)
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp ground cumin optional
- 1 tsp ground coriander optional
- 1 tsp mixed herbs optional
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
For the filling
- ½ small red onion chopped
- 100 g mushrooms sliced
- 1 handful baby spinach
- 1 medium tomato diced
- 2 tbsp salsa
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk all the pancake ingredients (chickpea flour, water, spices, herbs, salt and pepper).
- Heat the oil in a nonstick pan over medium-high heat, and sauté the onions until soft.
- Add the mushrooms, and sauté until soft.
- Transfer for the onion and mushroom mix to a small bowl.
- Into the same non-stick pan, pour the pancake batter, leaving a couple of centimeters around the edge.
- Wait until bubbles form on the surface and that it's slightly dry, then flip.
- After about 10 seconds, flip onto a plate.
- Add some spinach (they'll wilt on the hot pancake), the mushroom mix, tomatoes and some salsa.
- Fold the pancake over (omelette-style) and serve immediately.
My new fav for breakfast. Just change up the fillings and it’s different al the time
So happy to hear it Liezle, thanks for the feedback!
Pingback: Protein intake on a plant-based diet - Plantiful Coach
Pingback: 13 ways to eat beans - Plantiful Coach