This is my favourite way to have cauliflower: so full of flavour yet still light and fresh enough to include on an indulgent festive menu.
This is adapted from Jamie Oliver’s recipe – I love the smashed garlic and paprika paste, with some cumin and turmeric thrown in for extra flavour and colour.
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 3 cloves garlic (peeled)
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 lemon (zest & juice)
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Trim the cauliflower stalk so that it can stand level.
- Zest the lemon into a separate bowl and set aside.
- Add the garlic to a mortar and pestle and smash it a bit.
- Then add the paprika, thyme, cumin, turmeric and olive oil. Smash it all into a rough paste, then mix in the salt and pepper.
- Rub the paste all over the cauliflower, place it in an oven dish and squeeze the lemon juice over it.
- Cover with foil and put in the preheated oven for an hour.
- Remove the foil and bake for another 20 minutes.
- Remove the cauliflower from the oven, sprinkle the lemon zest over it, and return to the oven for another 10 minutes.
- Drizzle with some olive oil before serving.