If you’re feeling a craving for chocolate cake, but baking a whole cake would be a curse in the making, then try this 1-minute microwave mug cake. It’s also great if you don’t have an oven, or if you just want that single portion quick-fix.
Yes, it’s indulgent. But at least it just makes one portion, so you definitely won’t end up devouring a whole cake and suffering the predictable guilt afterwards! And if you’re the anti-microwave type, sorrynotsorry (microwaves are safe, y’all) – you can try my Best Chocolate Cake Ever instead!
The basics of a mug cake are pretty much the same as for a normal cake: flour, sugar, leavener (acid + base), liquid, oil or butter (the binder) plus whatever else you fancy. In this case, I cocoa powder (of course), espresso to enhance the chocolate flavour, vanilla, a dollop of peanut butter for decadence, and some chocolate chips.
Try this out, and also try out some variations of your own! The only thing I’ll warn you about is the cooking time: one minute should just about do it, but you might need a few seconds longer. Don’t overdo it though: microwaves cook food super fast, way faster than an oven. So if you leave it too long, you’ll end up with a tough, dry mass that you won’t want to eat!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Mug Cake
- ¼ cup cake flour
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp vegan butter (or vegetable oil)
- ½ tsp instant espresso (optional)
- ¼ cup plant milk
- 1/4 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tbsp vegan chocolate chips (optional)
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder into a small bowl. Add the sugar, and mix well.
- Melt the vegan butter (for 30 seconds in the microwave, or in a stainless steel measuring cup on the stove). Stir in the instant coffee granules until completely dissolved. Add the plant milk.
- Pour the liquid mix into the dry mix, and stir until combined (don't overmix), and spoon into a large microwaveable mug.
- Separately, mix the peanut butter with the chocolate chips, and then drop it into the middle of the cake mix, pushing it down until it's level with the batter.
- Microwave on high for one minute, and enjoy!